My Romance With Idlis

  My Romance with Idlis




( Image : Pixabay )

Being a South Indian and a very proud one at that, I have had interesting encounters with the gentle, quiet, unassuming idli . Truly speaking, that is one item I wouldn't want to be caught dead having.


I have no idea when my dislike for it started. I guess it was back in my preteen years when my family acquired the famous Sumeet mixie and idlis became a weekly affair. Paired off with the bland coconut chutney, it really wasn't something to tingle the taste buds.  Prior to that, the batter was ground painstakingly in those round grinding stones that are now set aside as antique pieces in South Indian households. 


Idlis in winter are tolerable. The batter does not turn too sour and when teamed up with a scintillatingly hot sambhar, it's pretty fine. Come summer, and idlis become the last thing to lure me to the breakfast table. 


Interestingly, one day,  I found myself talked into having an upgraded version of the (in)famous idli  - the fried idli . Not bad. I paid a pretty amount for it though, when I could easily have had it for free at home, where it is produced in dozens to feed an army, friends included. 


Another interesting encounter was when a wayside eatery from where I pick up some rather popular  'baangaali shingadas'  tried to sell me some pathetic looking idlis . It was like selling ice to an Eskimo. I politely turned down the pleased as punch, shopkeeper' s offer and silently said a prayer for his customers.  


The dear idli, I discovered last year, now has a special day dedicated to it. 30th March is World Idli Day. A Chennai based idli caterer by the name of Eniyavan culled out this day in 2015, to produce 1328 varieties of idlis. It is celebrated with much love every year, by ardent devotees and fans.


The best idlis I have had were some hundred years ago at this lovely place in Bangalore. I think it was a place called Saravana Bhawan . I remember liking them so much that when my dad ordered a second round,  I lovingly polished off the entire lot . 


Well, well, well !  I have no idea why some people like it but I cannot deny one thing-  it is one of the healthiest food items and if you are looking for a great figure or healthy body, just binge on them .




Comments

Popular Posts