A Soldier's Diary



IMAGE - KIWIHUG ( UNSPLASH  )


Echoes linger,


Of the rattle of guns


And the cold winter air


Reeks of the stench of war.


I sit within this mockery of a haven,


On one side of a border etched with


The ink of rage .


The light is faint


And my pen stumbles


Across the page


With words that are barely discernible.


Strange it is, that the hatred beyond


Is yet to touch my heart.


I love :


And these yellowed pages


That have traveled with me till now


Are witness to my love.


There is an ache within.


Perhaps my hours are numbered.


Her face appears on the pages


That I write upon


And beckons me.


If only she knows that


My fast fading breath


Will never let my love die.


Dear diary,


You shall live on


And when the morning light dawns,


Do travel to my home


And tell her of my dying thoughts.


Speak to her in the darkness of the nights


When tears shall clog her world.


Speak to the life that grows within her


Of a father who knew him well.


The night stretches before me


And I dream of flowers that bloom


On war torn paths,


Watered by yesterday’s tears.


What is this pristine light, I see ?


Comments

Popular Posts